VivaLoudoun has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.vivaloudoun.com
and update your bookmarks.


Monday, January 9, 2012

College Corner: Heritage Grad, West Virginia Football Walkon Nick Cadwell Awarded Full Scholarship for Spring Semester

West Virginia Redshirt Junior Nick Cadwell with parents Paul and Kris at Orange Bowl
(Jan. 9, 2012) - Hard does indeed pay off, just ask Heritage High School grad Nick Cadwell, a redshirt junior walkon safety at West Virginia, who not only saw kickoff action in the Orange Bowl but has been awarded a full scholarship for this upcoming spring semester.

Cadwell posted on Facebook Sunday: "Today I got some of the best news of my life. I found out that I will now have a full scholarship for football to WVU. Thank you to all of you that have always believed in me and always been there for me. Its a great day to be a mountaineer!!"

Cadwell graduated from Heritage in 2008 after a standout prep career that included 218 tackles with 126, 60 of them solo and nine sacks, coming in his senior year. Cadwell walked onto the Mountaineer program where he redshirted in 2008 and was a scout team star in 2009 and 2010. This season Cadwell broke onto the depth charts, coming into the season as No. 3 at free safety.

Cadwell said he was driving back for the spring semester when he got the call about the scholarship, and it was a complete surprise.

"They just started to talk to me about my good grades and that how I have been working really hard and that they have notice it and they said that they were going to put me on scholarship for this semester. I didnt know how to react," said Cadwell.


Cadwell then broke the news to his girlfriend Emily Stevenson.

"I told her that it just feels like I have been living a dream from the week down in Miami and than the big win in the Orange Bowl and now they are offering me a scholarship for this semester. It just means alot to my family and me."



Cadwell wasn't the only local product basking in the glory of West Virginia's 70-33 Orange Bowl blowout over Clemson as Stone Bridge grad Devon Brown had five receptions on the win for 71 yards, including a 33-yard grab. Brown, who transferred for his final season from Wake Forest, played in all 13 games with 404 yards receiving on 29 catches. He also had 81 yards in kick returns.
Cadwell has plenty to smile about after earning a scholarship for this upcoming spring semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment