By Dan Sousa
VivaLoudoun.com Editor
(Mar. 23, 2010) - And you thought the health care legislation was confusing and contentious ... wait until you dive into the brewing "budget battle" in Loudoun County between the Board of Supervisors and the School Board and Loudoun County Public Schools.
All I can say for certain is that at the end of the day I will be writing the checks to meet the financial bottom line as I am both a homeowner in the county (since 1995) and a parent with two children in the schools (elementary and high school). And my gut feeling at this point is that the hardest working people in the battle -- the teachers and coaches I work with and cover for VivaLoudoun.com -- and most dependent -- the children, our future! -- are the ones caught in the middle of this tumultuous tug-a-war.
What I found interesting in the last 24 hours was two distinct differently messages on the issue from two "Stevens" -- School Board Chair John Stevens (via a posting on his blog Our Loudoun Schools) and my Board of Supervisor Stevens Miller. So, here they are ... side-by-side if I could but I'll put up John Stevens posting which came first on Monday and then Miller Stevens email which arrived this morning so please keep reading ... click the "Read More" below for both point of views ...
(I'd love to hear your comments on these views ... but only if you can post them in a constructive and civil way ... part of what I hope our education system is teaching today is how to have civil discourse in a true democratic fashion and a lot of what I see locally and nationally isn't very mature ... people should be able to debate without hate!)
John Stevens, Loudoun County School Board Chair, on his blog:
Earlier this year I wrote about the Board of Supervisors, business community, Loudoun's state legislators and the School Board working together to restore proposed state funding cuts to Loudoun's education budget. We worked together and were successful. Where the School Board conformed to the Supervisor's October directive to ask for a $25M budget increase (actually a per-pupil decrease), the state more than made up for it with a $25.4 million funding increase and a $20M reduction in required retirement contributions.
You might think that the increase in state education aid would prompt the School Board to increase its budget request even further, but we had pledged not to do that if this situation arose. We pledged to work within the original limits we proposed and return the rest to the taxpayers. Instead the Supervisors have gone even further, cutting the school budget below last year's level. The Board of Supervisors voted to take away the state aid, and then cut the school budget even more deeply. They have nullified the state's budget increase, and then cut even more deeply than that.
Supervisors Cut $30M from School Budget (Leesburg Today)
Supervisors Vote Against Raises for School Employees (Loudoun Times Mirror)
Supervisors Cut Money Earmarked for Teacher Raises (Loudoun Independent)
Why is being next to last in per-pupil funding not enough? Why is being next to last in teacher salaries not enough? Why is having some of the largest class sizes in the state not enough? Why was proposing a budget within the limits that the Supervisors provided not enough? Why was joining together to fight for more state funding not enough?
The School Board cut per-pupil spending, offset increases with cuts and stayed within the limits the Supervisors laid down. We fought for more funding from the state but didn't ask to keep any of it for the schools beyond our original request.
The Supervisors have one more budget work session, tonight at 6:30pm. Consider what the School Board may need to cut to meet this proposed budget. And tell the Board of Supervisors what you think of this bait and switch today, before it is too late.
Loudoun County Board of Supervisor Stevens Miller in an Email
I am very mindful of the desire Loudoun residents have to preserve the best features of our school system. In my experiences as the parent of a young student who has unquestionably benefited from his first two years in LCPS, the greatest and most effective investment in our children's education is the one we make in teachers.
This year, I agreed to reductions that were based first on a $20,000,000 deferral of Virginia Retirement System payments that was passed by the General Assembly. That is a payment LCPS will simply not have to make this year, so there is no need to fund it and no impact on education by not funding it. (I am shocked, however, that the General Assembly undertook this foolish deferral, as the deferred money will have to be paid out of your local property taxes, with interest, over a ten-year period starting in 2013, and those payments will be on top of the VRS payments that will also be due in those years. For the Governor to say he has "balanced" the budget when all he has done is use the discredited trick of borrowing the money from a future administration is an insult to those of us who must, and do, pay our bills on time.)
Next, I agreed to a reduction that exactly matched the additional funds made available by the state when, in response to substantial pressure from this board of supervisors, other elected officials in our region, and citizens throughout Loudoun County, the state unfroze the Local Composite Index, resulting in another $25,000,000 addition to the LCPS budget. As we had discussed repeatedly with the school board members, that additional state funding allowed us to lower the local tax burden, without changing the total amount of money LCPS planned to spend. Chairman Stevens has today (March 22) issued a statement that our offsetting of the LCI increase "nullified" the state's added money. I'm puzzled by his characterization because I had thought that was the plan all along, and that he had approved of that plan. Regardless, as our offset has no impact on LCPS funding, I continue to support it, because it does lower the tax rate on Loudouners by over three cents.
Finally, I supported a last reduction of about $24,000,000 because county staff had reported this to be a running fund balance that was part of the carryover from the previous fiscal year's budget for LCPS, and that was again present as a fund balance at the end of this year's budget. In other words, LCPS started and ended last year with about this amount left over. (Actually, county staff has indicated the amount is somewhat greater, but due to uncertainties in year-to-year operating costs, I felt this amount was a reasonable expectation of a reliable fund balance for the end of the coming year.) Simply put, to fund this amount appeared to me to be funding a budget item that simply refers to unspent money. I can't see any sense to funding an unspent balance.
The school superintendent has said that this money would have gone for one-time purchases, such as computer equipment. Now, it appears that, rather than live without one year's worth of such items, he plans to fire over 200 employees so he can still buy those things. If I understand him correctly, I am greatly saddened by his plan, because I firmly believe that people matter more to education than do things, and that teachers are the people who matter most to education. When I tour my son's school, I see that he and his classmates are now using devices designed to resemble simple cell phones so he can "TXT" his answers to a teacher's questions, so they appear on a computer-projected display. This means that, to answer "What pumps blood through the body?" he must press, 4-4 to enter the letter "H," then 3-3 for "E," then 2-7-7-7-8 for "ART." I have learned that these simulated cell phones retail at nearly $100 each. While it may be possible that, from a pedagogical perspective, using TXT messages and cell phones is a better way to teach lessons than writing answers with a pencil onto paper, or holding up one's hand and learning to speak aloud in a group, I would still have to believe that, for one year, it makes more sense to keep our teachers and forgo such devices, than it does to fire those teachers and buy more cell phones. (Indeed, at the prices these devices go for, I would at least have to ask if we shouldn't just buy actual cell phones in the first place.)
As a parent who, along with his mother, loves his son as much as I know other Loudoun parents do, I want our schools to provide a first-rate learning experience. As a taxpayer who, like others, knows that the quality of life my son enjoys depends on more than what he does in school, I want our community to allocate its tax burden fairly, effectively, and with a sense that social services beyond the schools also affect our families and our children. As a supervisor, I have listened closely to every speaker, every parent, and every teacher who has offered to assist me in finding my way to the best judgment I can make about our budget for the coming year. All of them have my thanks, even if not all of them agree with my votes.
I believe that money for teachers should come before money for things in our schools. The budget as proposed supplies enough money for teachers. Before the school board allows the superintendent to put money for things ahead of money for teachers, I urge you to contact your school board members and let them know that, if you share my view, going one year without more computers or TXTing more of our children's answers is a better alternative than taking our children's teachers away from them.
Best wishes,
Stevens
Note from Dan: Finally -- I think there could be other point of views and I'd love to hear from teachers, coaches and even students!
Ok ... I always thought I was good in Math, but obviously my sense of addition and subtraction must not be working if these statements are correct. Let's say the current budget is X. And if you believe Stevens Miller's e-mail that budget had "padding" of $24 million. So if (according to BOTH Stevens) the state gave you an additional 20 + 25.4 million your net gain is $21.4 Million (20 + 25.4 -24). So if you're ahead by $24.1 (not your requested $25 Million) why is Dr. Hatrick looking to reduce another $25 million? (http://cmsweb1.loudoun.k12.va.us/50990419143725/lib/50990419143725/FY11_Option_1_Reduction_List.pdf)
ReplyDeleteIt seems like there is more that enough to go around with only minor cuts. The cuts listed are in areas that are going to impact all the children in just about every grade level. I see lots of cuts at the individual school level but very few at the "administration" level. One of the strangest is to furlogh all of the county employees for an instructional day. OK, so who is going to watch the children that day? A parent volunteer? (obviously it wouldn't be every teacher on the same day, but SOMEONE has to run the class) or would you bring in a sub for that day? Well, they certainly aren't going to work for free, so you're still paying someone (so what is the use of a furlogh?)
Sorry even with the "new math" something just doesn't add up.
Both representatives have "passed" this portion of the assignment; the "persuasive argument."
ReplyDeleteAs a taxpayer and parent of school-aged children in LoCo (and a product of LCPS), my support goes to Mr. Miller. Having recently won my battle with FB Addiction, I say "yea" to teachers in the classrooms and "nay" to all this technology. If we don't get a grip on this "over the top" style of entertaining/educating our kids, we will be buying every student a Kindle by next year! Clickers in classrooms??? Come on! Already our kids can't write (as in with pencil and paper) in legible handwriting. They type everything or fill in a "bubble" for a scantron machine. Which by the way, have a high degree of wrong "answers" programmed into them. So much for technology. Keep teachers, pass on "perks." What does the School Board think we are . . .The Federal Govt.?????
Cuts need to be made at the top! The children of Loudoun County should feel the pain last! They are children and should not have to carry this burden. Academics/Sports/Misc.Activities go hand in hand they are what makes a public education. Go to any Loudoun County School between 5-8 p.m. and there is still a flurry of kids and activities and sports and clubs. This current year sports has dropped off due to large fees and activities and buses have been cut and you want to keep taking away from the kids? Keep jacking up fees for sports and parking and taking away sports and activities? I don't get it. Why doesn't every Loudoun County School employee pay $100 to park? Why don't we cut back on things that don't matter? White boards and all this fancy stuff....get back to the basics....work with what we have.....IT'S CALLED A BUDGET! We knew this last year....nothing more should of been purchased this year...nothing and all administration and teachers should pay $100-$200 to park. Go downtown and work and see what it costs you a year to park when you lose your job here. The big guys are gonna feel the pain soon, no escaping it no matter how far down they try to pass this buck.
ReplyDeleteThis came today from Susan Buckley, the Vice Chair of the BOS:
ReplyDeleteDear Neighbor,
Thank you for contacting my office about the school budget.
Loudoun has great schools, and we want to keep it that way. A top quality education has always been one of my top priorities. I have always supported schools and teachers, both as a taxpayer and elected member to the Board of Supervisors. Although I supported a small reduction to the school budget this year (one that would not impact classroom instruction), I did not support the additional $20 million reduction made to the LCPS Operating Budget by a majority of the Board of Supervisors last night. Before the budget is finalized on April 6, I hope we can restore that funding to the schools. My attempt to do so last night, however, was unsuccessful. I will be sending to you a detailed explanation of the final budget decision shortly after April 6.
Thank you for your support of education in Loudoun County.
All the best,
Susan Klimek Buckley
Vice Chairman, Loudoun County Board of Supervisors
Supervisor, Sugarland Run District
703.771.5033
I've had major beefs with Millier this year, but I do find that he's closer to reality in this issue than John Stevens.
ReplyDeleteIn fact, I'm disappointed to see that the school board (elected by residents!) seems to disproportionately promote the administration kool-aid more than the constituency sentiment.
Plus, Hatrick has gotten away with threatening core cuts vs fatty cuts for years. Any good manager of any business knows how to trim fat without attacking the core of the business. Where is the executive leadership here?
I hope that residents don't get drawn into too much drama. But more are afraid to call Hatrick's bluff than not.
You're right Dan, this puts students, teachers and our core education goals in the middle of a battle over money -- unnecessary.
Good post and good comments. We simply cannot afford the school system that Hatrick has built. He is simply too close to his empire to think outside of the box. And most close to the situation think that Hatrick leads the School Board around, rather than the other way around, as it should be. PLease join me in working towards electing an entirely new School Board in the 2011 elections. One that cares more about real teaching and the student's well being rather than a bureaucratic juggernaut.
ReplyDelete