
"I saw it going straight through and then I got tackled from every which way," said Warfel.
Playing travel soccer since the age of nine and a JV player at Loudoun Valley as a freshman, Warfel said it was a soccer coach who first told him he had "a leg for kicking" footballs.
In practice he has been able to hit from 50 yards off a metal tee, without a live holder, and with his holder, he is confident from 30 yards out.
In overtime Friday against East Rockingham, the pressure was taken off Warfel when the visitors missed their field goal attempt after the Wolverines had held them to fourth down on the first possession of overtime.
Warfel had enough confidence that he was almost happy when Woodgrove's drive stalled on the 2 and he was called on to put the first win in the record books.
"A touchdown would have been better but I knew I could make it," said Warfel.
First the snap by sophomore Blayne Mutschler was right on the money and the holder, junior Tyler Workman, got down a clean hold.
"Leading up to the kick I was going through my cues -- focusing on where to hit the ball, follow through and reminding myself to left my shoulder pads up and keep my chest up," said Warfel.
Even before the ball landed the celebration began, it seemed like Warfel was getting celebratory texts and new Facebook Friend requests.
"It was great to get the first win in school history. Everybody was going crazy that night," said Warfel who has been more than happy to transfer from Valley and open up the new school. "It's awesome being at a new school. You get to make all new traditions and set the standards."
One standard ... dramatic game-winning field goal ... has now been set and it may be decades before it is topped.
No comments:
Post a Comment