VivaLoudoun has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.vivaloudoun.com
and update your bookmarks.


Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Tochdowns for Tommy": Flag Football Benefit Game Between Loudoun County and Park View Alumni Set for Oct. 1

By Dan Sousa
VivaLoudoun.com Editor

Leesburg (Sept. 17, 2009) - At least 40 Alumni from Loudoun County and Park View high have signed up to play in a flag football benefit game set for Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. at Loudoun County High School.

"Tochdowns for Tommy" is being held to help raise money for SUDC (Sudden Unexpected Death In Childhood).

Tommy Marshall passed away at the age of two and half to unexplained reasons which are classified as SUDC, the toddler version of SIDS. Loudoun County assistant football coach Cary Vipond, a friend of the Marshall family, has organized the charity event.

Vipond has three goals for the event:



1)  Celebrate the life of Tommy Marshall and life in general
2)  Raise money for SUDC research
3)  Raise awareness of SUDC

"As I attended the funeral of my good friends son, I asked myself what could I do to help.  Truth be told; there was nothing I could do to ease the pain," Vipond says in his letter to the Raider community. "TD's for T is the only thing I could come up with and I hope we can use it to teach our young people that there is a whole lot more to life than athletics."

Vipond is hoping to raise $10,000 with the event which will also the deceased wife of former Raider alum Antoine Lucas.

"Antoine's wife passed away to cancer this past summer and he is raising four kids by himself," said Vipond. " You have a choice to either donate to SUDC or towards Antoine's family at the game."

Check prior to Oct. 1 can be sent to:
Cary Vipond
334 Canyon Road
Winchester VA 22602
Checks can be made out to either CJ Foundation for SIDS or to Antoine Lucas

Interested flag football players can send a $20 check to Vipond at the address listed above and include former playing jersey number.

Admission at the game will be $5 for those age 5 and above.

No comments:

Post a Comment