Leesburg (Dec. 14, 2012) - Loudoun County High School will host the inaugural "Duals for the Warriors" Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012 with all the money raised from t-shirt sales at the wrestling meet going to the Wounded Warrior Project. Wrestling starts at 9 a.m. and goes all day.
The Raiders will also honor a veteran who was wounded while serving. The first honoree is Sgt Anthony Rico, who served with Loudoun County wrestling coach Joel Caruso.
"I had the honor to serve with Sgt Rico in the US Army. Fresh out of basic training he came to my squad," said Caruso. "At first I thought he was very cocky and as his squad leader Rico was doing a lot of push-ups ... his cockiness was really his confidence and quickly, Rico became my Team Leader."
Caruso continued: " He showed great leadership and always pushed to soldiers to be better."
Caruso wanted to share a story on Rico and a video that features Rico:
Sgt Anthony Rico's Story
I was your average kid, a bit rebellious coming out of High School,
not real sure what I was going to do with my life. In Jun-2000 an Army
recruiter came to my door and asked if I wanted to see the world. At
the time I had nothing better going on in my life and no real plans on
which college I would attend. In Oct-2000 I departed in my first
airplane ride over to Fort Benning, Ga, home of the Infantry, Boy was
I in for a surprise.
On my arrival, to Fort Benning I was tossed in an
assembly line and had my hair shaved off, my name replaced with a
roster number, more shots and vaccines than I can count and received
my uniforms and BCGs (Birth Control Glasses).
After Basic training and Infantry School I was sent off to Airborne
school a few miles down the road. Once there I was trained on how to
become a human lawn dart. The school was fun and I got to jump out of
my very first airplane. Since Airborne school was over it was now time
to go to my assigned unit. I was at the needs of the Army.
Since I was
above 6 feet tall and above average intelligence, Uncle Sam sent me
over to Fort Myer, Va, home of the 3rd US Infantry Regiment dubbed
"The Old Guard". The Old Guard is a ceremonial unit that included
duties such as funerals for Arlington Cemetery, Tomb Of the Unknown
Soldier guards, Army Drill Team, White House ceremonies, and other
high level dignitary ceremonies.
I was assigned to Alpha Company and placed in a Casket Platoon. Our
job was to carry the casket and fold the flag for the family. It was a
true Honor and to this day has been the most Honorable thing I have
ever been a part of. We did anywhere from 4-7 funerals a day and 20 to
35 a week. But before I departed the unit, 9/11
happened.
Being stationed right outside of DC, we were the closest
unit to the Pentagon. Soon after the fires were put out, we were
tasked to go in and recover the bodies of the victims that had been
killed in the wreckage.
It was like being in horror story. Day after day we
had to keep going in and removing the remains into these little red
bags. I remember my 20th birthday was spent loading these red bags
full.
In 2004 I reenlisted to the Army and got to choose my duty station. It
was time for me to go and see the world. I chose Vicenza, Italy home
of the 173d Airborne Brigade. Most recently they have had Staff
Sergeant Salvatore Giunta receive the Medal of Honor, and the movie
"RESTREPO" was made about the unit as well. Here is the link
http://restrepothemovie.com/ if you haven't seen it.
While I was in
Italy I got a chance to see the world and visit 9 other countries, it
was amazing. In 2005 our unit was deployed to Afghanistan, it was time
to fight the war. On September 1, 2005 we got in our first major fire
fight.
We got ambushed driving through a valley at night. In my
vehicle with 5 people I was 1 of 3 guys that got shot. Two of my guys
got shot several times in both legs.
I helped tie tourniquets on their legs to help stop the bleeding. They
had to be flown off the battlefield by a medivac helicopter.
I was
fortunate as the bullet I was hit by glanced off my helmet. My bell
got rung a little, but I was ok and able to continue on with my
duties.
September 30, 2005 was my last day in Afghanistan. We were on a foot
patrol in the mountains when another squad a few hundred meters away
got into a firefight with the enemy. We quickly advanced to their
position.
While assaulting up the mountain towards the enemy, I was
shot by an enemy sniper. I the bullet went in my hip and out my lower
back near my spine. I laid there on the ground not able to move and
was still being fired upon. Luckily one of my good friends and savior
put his life on the line and pulled my out of harm's way. He was
grazed by one bullet and the ricocheting bullets peppered him with
shrapnel. I owe him my life. After he pulled me behind a few big rocks
where I was safe, the firefight continued and I laid there bleeding in
the mountains for about 2 hours before they could get me out on a
helicopter medivac.
That day we had a couple of guys lose their lives
and a few others got injured.
After the surgery in Afghanistan, I was flown to Walter Reed Hospital
in Washington DC. I ended up with a colostomy bag, a catheter, and the
news that I may never be able to walk or use my legs again.
They
informed me that the bullet was centimeters away from my spine and I
should be prepared for the worst possible outcome. A few days later I
was woken up in my hospital room by a nurse. She said that I had been
screaming about some sort of nightmare and came in to check on me.
Only when she came in to check on me, I was standing next to my bed
holding on to the railing still asleep. She was amazed and asked if I
understood what was going on. I had no clue; I was still all doped up
on so much medication.
Long story short, I had the use of my legs,
however to this day I still have no feeling in my right leg and still
get shooting nerve pains all up and down my leg and back.
For the next 7-8 months I had a few more surgeries and had to learn
how to walk again. This was no big deal, as I was just happy I could
use my legs. In May-2007 I was medically discharged from the military.
Ever since I got out, I have been looking for ways to stay in shape
and found the sport of cycling. Cycling helps keep my mind focused and
off of any battlefield issues I have.
Friday, December 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment