VivaLoudoun has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.vivaloudoun.com
and update your bookmarks.


Friday, December 2, 2011

News: Park View Asst. Principal Adam Takes Over as Heritage Principal on Monday

Special to VivaLoudoun via Loudoun County Public Schools

(Dec. 2, 2011) - Jeff Adam is used to making hard decisions.

“Being a native Texan, you have to make a decision: whether you’re going for the Aggies or the Longhorns. I’ve pretty much chosen the Longhorns.”

Adam explains his choice of college football allegiance by stating he obtained his master’sdegree in educational administration from the University of Texas.

Agreeing to become the principal of Heritage High School involved far less angst than picking a favorite football team. (Adam replaces Margaret Huckaby, who becomes Loudoun County Public Schools’ director of employee relations. His first day as principal is Monday, December 5th.)


“I’m excited about doing it, but it also comes with a new level of responsibility for a whole school, not just my little part of it.”

Adam comes to Heritage after serving as the assistant principal at Park View High School since 2006. In that role, Adam has overseen the school’s facilities; developed the AVID program, which seeks to boost student achievement; worked as the special education contact; and overseen transportation issues. “I’ve kind of done a little bit of everything.”

If Adam were a horse, he’d have a very distinguished bloodline.

The first person to interview him for a job in Loudoun County was the late Laurie McDonald, who served as principal at Ashburn, Lowes Island and Evergreen Mill elementary schools. McDonald recommended that Adam interview with Park View High School Principal Ginger Minshew. (Both McDonald and Minshew were named The Washington Post Principal of the Year.)

There was an opening for an assistant principal at Park View when he was recommended to Minshew, but Adam missed the interview deadline because of a contractual obligation in Texas.

Adam and his wife, Brandy, had spent seven years working in education in Texas. They wanted to move to this area to be nearer Brandy Adam’s family in Maryland. They decided to head east even though Jeff Adam didn’t yet have a job.

That changed quickly…

Adam was driving around Gettysburg – showing some friends who had helped him move the battlefield – when he got a call saying there would be a second round of interviews for the Park View job. “I jumped at the chance.”

“The stars aligned so that I could be here at Park View working with Ginger.”

Having worked in Loudoun County has given Adam a solid background in what is expected of a principal by the community.

“Loudoun County has high expectations for all of its students. No matter what part of the county they live in, the expectation is that they are to come to school, they’re going to do what they need to do to learn and be successful. It’s our job as administrators and educators to make sure that we’re providing them all the support they need; everything we can do to make each student successful…

“I feel like I have a good relationship with the parents at Park View and I look forward to developing those relationships with the parents at Heritage to make sure their students are getting what they need.”

Adam said he will have a definite philosophy as Heritage’s principal.

“A principal needs to be visible. A principal needs to be available…communicate with the students and parents; let them know what’s going on at the school, invite them into the school. Invite them into the office if there is an issue or if there’s not an issue; just come by and be present and listen. Listen with an open ear and an open mind. Everybody’s perspective is a valid one…

“My door and my ears are always open and that’s what I want them to know. I’m approachable. I want to do everything I can to lead them and to support them in the great things that they are already doing. It’s a great school. It’s a great staff. I couldn’t ask to go into a better situation.”

Teaching students respect for one another is something Adam said he’s worked on throughout his educational career. “Respect is not something that is always seen as valued anymore. The way we treat people – and treating one another with respect that is due to one another as human beings – is something that I always taught my students…

“We treat each other with respect because we all deserve that. We get that back. The respect that we give we get back in return.”

Adam said becoming the principal in mid-year is awkward, but also gives him some opportunities. “It’s going to give me a chance to get in there and build relationships and get to know everybody.”

Major changes aren’t something on Adam’s agenda.

“My biggest hope for Heritage is that we keep the success going that they’ve already experienced and that we build on that…

“Just like any high school, there’s a lot of moving parts at Heritage. I want to make sure those things keep going and nothing stops.”

Adam and his wife have two daughters, ages 10 and 6. “They keep me busy, but it’s a lot of fun. It’s busy at school, busy at home, so it’s good.”

1 comment:

  1. Big loss for Park View.

    "A principal needs to be visible. A principal needs to be available…communicate with the students and parents; let them know what’s going on at the school, invite them into the school. Invite them into the office if there is an issue or if there’s not an issue; just come by and be present and listen. Listen with an open ear and an open mind."

    Mr. Adams walks the walk. Good luck Mr. Adams!

    ReplyDelete