(July 7, 2013) - Peter Bladel, a 2004 graduate of Stone Bridge High School, is not someone who’s afraid to go out on a limb.
On Monday, June 10th, he invited the 494 members of his alma mater’s Class of 2013 to join him on that limb during their graduation ceremonies at George Mason University’s Patriot Center.
“It was nine years ago that I was in your very position listening to our graduation speaker and thinking ‘When is this guy going to shut up so I can hurry and get to ‘Beach Week’? Well, there are some things that are more important than ‘Beach Week’… You guys have to attend your graduation parties tonight so your friends and relatives can give you all the money you’re going to spend at ‘Beach Week.’ ”
Bladel, who is pursuing a career as a stand-up comedian in New York, told the graduates what was propelling him forward in life. “It’s the importance of not staying in place no matter what success you’ve already achieved. You need to seek out challenges then attack them with confidence.”
After graduating from Stone Bridge, Bladel went to Christopher Newport University to play football. “Some might think that riding the bench on a Division III team for no scholarship money might not sound like a big deal, but it certainly meant a lot to me at the time.”
Bladel said he wasn’t a standout for the powerful Bulldog football program. “When I played football here for Coach (Mickey) Thompson, I wasn’t that good. If you watch my highlight tape, it’s mainly just me celebrating while other people made tackles.”
After a couple years at Christopher Newport, Bladel transferred to the University of Virginia. “It was always a dream school of mine, but I didn’t have the required 4.five thousand GPA. I wasn’t accepted.”
However, Bladel wasn’t content to merely attend the school of his dreams. “I had a crazy thought: ‘What if I tried out for the football team at U.Va.?’ They must have been really impressed by the athleticism I displayed in my tackle celebration because I made the football team as a walk-on. This was a dream come true within a dream come true. It was like that movie ‘Inception’ without the confusion and a way better ending.”
Then it hit Bladel how difficult it would be to complete a difficult academic path while playing Division I football. “It was a huge step up in the difficulty level, both academically and athletically. Now I’m not going to lie, I was pretty sacred; terrified, really…
“This a common (feeling) you face whenever you’re presented with a major challenge. You question yourself and your ability to succeed.”
There’s one thing you can do to get through such a situation, Bladel said. “That thing is a positive mental attitude. The eternal confidence to take a step back, survey the situation and simply say ‘I’ve got this.’ The way you approach something and the confident manner in which you carry yourself through it will, more often than not, determine your outcome.”
When he found himself in a boring job, Bladel challenged himself to pursue his dream of becoming a stand-up comic. He went to his first open-mic night in December 2008 and bombed. “For some reason, I kept going back and I kept getting better. I kept going back and I kept getting better. I still consider myself a work in progress as a stand-up, but I’m finding little victories along the way.”
Bladel had some concluding thoughts for the graduates: “Life is surely going to take you on a different path than mine, but there are some things that are going to stay constant. As you move forward you’re going to find yourself in situations that leave you outside your comfort zone, both by your own choosing and fate. You’re going to need a positive mental attitude to guide yourself through it. Luckily for you, you already have the foundation to succeed in those situations, because you attended Stone Bridge High School. Stone Bridge is a really special place… The faculty and staff push and challenge you, (you have) a great community of peers you can learn from…
“Your present challenges will become your future successes and you’re prepared for them because of your time at Stone Bridge; never forget that.”
The valedictorians for the Class of 2013 were Katherine Bellino and Haitham “Duke” Shahin.
Bellino reflected on the meaning of graduation in her remarks.
“It’s a milestone to be celebrated, but it’s also a perfect time to reflect on our past as we dream for our future. Whether you’ve lived your entire life in a community, like I have, or moved here this year, you’ve made an impact.
“In many different ways we have served those around us; even if it was just to fulfill a last-minute NHS requirement. It seems like every week there was a new set up to collect donations or recruit volunteer help by the cafeteria, all of which were student-led…
“In return, this community has shaped us. Coaches, teachers, families and friends have been among the biggest influences in our lives. From them we have learned life lessons that we will need to retain in order to be successful out on our own in the so-called ‘real world.’ We honestly can’t thank you enough.”
Shahin’s remarks centered on the graduates’ future.
“As I stand before you, I can give a speech that consists of clichés. I can tell you everything will work out the way you hope; that all of your dreams will be met and that we will be successful in all our future endeavors.
“Or, I can be honest with you.
“Despite my young age and lack of life experience, I’m certain we will come across obstacles we will not have planned for. Those obstacles will be daunting, relentless in their efforts to keep us from achieving our goals. They will constantly try to lead us astray from the path we want to follow.
“However, history has proven there is an answer to these challenges…
“Hard work, perseverance and moral strength, these are the tactics by which we will overcome our future obstacles. Our teachers, over the last four years, have stressed the importance of these attributes because we will need them in our near future. I’m confident that each person here today understands that he or she will always have the opportunity to overcome anything; it’s simply a matter of endurance. As long as we continue to push ourselves and continue learning from our mistakes, there is no reason for any of us to think we will face a challenge too big to surpass.”
The salutatorian for the Class of 2013 was Tyler “Bubba” Lough.
“Today is a celebration for one very special class,” said Stone Bridge Principal Jim Person, noting the Class of 2013 earned $5,401,539 in scholarships. Person also had special parting gifts for the valedictorians.
The weekend before graduation, Person realized a lifetime dream by catching a foul ball at an athletic contest; in the case one that came his way during the Bulldogs’ 10-9 state championship softball loss to Great Bridge. He presented the ball to Bellino, who was a member of that team. “This symbolizes, effort, persistence, hard work, endurance and the ability to bounce back.”
Person presented Shahin, who was Stone Bridge’s student representative on the Loudoun County School Board with a gavel. Person said he hoped Haitham would one day run for the School Board.
Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) Superintendent Edgar B. Hatrick III gave the graduates a recipe for future success. “I want you to consider all the possibilities that come your way through life. You don’t know and won’ know just a 10thof what they may be right now. No matter what your plans are, I will guarantee you they will change. But you have potential; that’s the other thing we see in you today. That, plus your sense of purpose – knowing where you want to go, who you want to be, what you want to do – all of these characteristics can lead to success for you.”
Sarah Reed performed the Senior Song “There You’ll Be.” As is customary at Stone Bridge graduations, the chorus sang a spirited rendition of “Bridge Over Troubled Water.”
School Board Chairman Eric Hornberger (Ashburn District) attended the Stone Bridge graduation.
Viva Loudoun Graduation 2013 Series
Today: Stone Bridge
Tomorrow: Tuscarora
July 6: Potomac Falls
July 5: Park View
July 4: Loudoun Valley
July 3: Loudoun County
July 2 : Heritage
July 1: Freedom
June 30: Dominion
June 29: Broad Run
June 28: Briar Woods
Article and photo courtesy Loudoun County Public Schools

No comments:
Post a Comment